Songs That Take Me Back 5

Songs That Take Me Back Vol. 5

I feel like taking another trip back to the ’90s. I recently hung out with some childhood friends and watched the 1986 Transformers movie with them. One of my friends moved back from out of state, and it was the first time I’d seen him since he left. I also took a trip to see Anthrax, Megadeth, and Iron Maiden with my budding metalhead friend. We’re all getting older, and some of us have even sprouted a few gray hairs. To combat aging, we reminisced about the good old days when we were young and carefree.

System of a Down - Sugar

This was the first System of a Down song I heard. As a little kid, I was mystified by the wild face paint, the thunderous volume, the absurd lyrics, and the general craziness of it all. I used to watch it in the living room of my old house on The Box channel. I bought this album along with Toxicity some time later and became hooked on SOAD.

While I was in graduate school, I met an Armenian colleague who also loved SOAD. We would rock out together listening to their music. His favorite song was "B.Y.O.B." He was a brilliant guy, and he’s out there making a lot of money now. God bless that man.

Limp Bizkit - Nookie

This song takes me straight back to that elementary school playground. We all watched the music video, heard it on the radio, and thought it was cool. We all sang along without really understanding what it meant. Now that the young boys who heard it back then have grown into men, I’m sure many of them can relate to this song. What man hasn’t been strung along by a toxic woman just for the nookie? I’ve known plenty of friends who stayed in toxic relationships because "the sex is so good." Men, don’t put up with crazy, toxic women. Hell, don’t put up with toxic people, period. Cut them out of your life.

Tupac - California Love

We also learned about his tragic death. As a young boy, I was confused. I was too young to truly understand the magnitude of Tupac’s and Biggie’s passing. I understood the permanence of it, though, which is haunting for an elementary school kid. I actually borrowed a Tupac CD from a friend at the time that had this song on it. I can’t remember which album it was, but I’m fairly certain it was a double-disc compilation. There are other rappers I would place above Tupac, but there’s no denying his importance.

Usher - Nice & Slow

This song takes me back to my cousin’s old house. Both of them, brother and sister, got excited every time this song played on The Box, which in turn made me excited. It’s a catchy song, but I’m not really into slow R&B jams. I only liked it because they liked it. The lyric "I’ll freak you right, I will!" makes me grin as an adult. I didn’t actually understand it as a kid. Haha.

Will Smith - Men in Black

Will Smith was my definition of "cool" throughout the ’90s. The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, Bad Boys, Independence Day, Men in Black, and his music all made him seem larger than life. He had the confidence, the charm, the personality, and the swagger. He also had a bit of an edge, as he frequently clashed with Uncle Phil, another legend. It’s a shame that he turned out to be such a pushover when it came to his wife. It’s sad and disappointing, and it made me lose a lot of respect for him. It breaks my heart to watch him fall so tragically. I’d rather remember Will Smith when he was the definition of "cool", when I would watch his movies in theaters or rent them on VHS with my friends, who also thought he was cool.

Sisqo - Thong Song

Young boys and men alike definitely loved the video. The song is undeniably catchy, even if it’s repetitive. It’s one of those songs with an irresistible hook that can be repeated over and over again without getting old. That violin melody and Sisqó's smooth delivery are hypnotic. I remember my dad taking us to a hockey game, and this song came on the radio on the way back. My friend and I were singing along to the entire thing. He was a fellow baller and we where both Kobe Bryant fans. We drifted apart upon leaving elementary school. Wherever he is, God bless that man.

Def Squad - Def Squad Delite

This is a cover of Sugarhill Gang’s "Rapper’s Delight." I actually heard "Def Squad Delite" first, and listening to both now, it’s hard to choose a favorite. Naturally, I have to credit Sugarhill Gang most for being the original creative minds behind the song, but Def Squad are definitely no slouches. They did their homework and delivered a brilliant cover. I remember this song playing while we hung out at the batting cages right across the street from the old house. That place was pretty cool. There were pool tables, arcade games, and, of course, the batting cages themselves. That’s what being a kid is all about: hanging out with your friends at places like that.

A Look Back

I often hear, "Man, I wish I could go back!" from my fellow middle-aged peers. I understand it. I, too, would love to revisit those memories. However, you don’t need to physically travel back in time to do that. You can simply close your eyes and relive those moments in your mind. Besides, even if I did go back, who’s to say life would unfold in exactly the same way? Would it change for the better or for the worse? I believe it’s best to leave childhood in the past and revisit it only through memory whenever the need arises. I loved my childhood, and I wouldn’t trade it for anything. I fear that physically going back would disturb something and unleash a butterfly effect that would alter the things I already treasure.

Don't get too stuck in the past, lest you find it difficult to move forward.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Synthwave 2023

Early Y2K Movies

Y2K Game: Elemental Gimmick Gear