Murder

Day Eight. Let's do some hardcore punk, shall we? The Varukers' album "Murder". My first encounters with punk rock where wimpy bands like Minor Threat, the Adicts, Bad Religion (I actually like Bad Religion), and Nofx. When I first heard the term "punk rock", I thought it was music written buy tough dudes that will never like what you're wearing and beat you up for it. But alas, none of these bands even have testicles. Where's the guy spitting in my face? Where's the boot crushing my skull?

Apparently, they all gathered to create this album. This is exactly what I imagined when I hear the term "punk rock". A guy yelling about how government is always bad (it is), how war is awful, politicians are always evil, society is fucked, and how much of a poser you are (indeed, you are).

The lyrical content may be cliche, but it's effective because there's real power to the music. It's loud, heavy, fast, and constantly in your face. Punk rock lent an enormous hand into the evolution of metal (especially Discharge). I think the Varukers understand this (the Varukers themselves where around at the time of Discharge, too) and so embraced a sharp metallic edge to their riffcraft. Thrash metal was born when the melodies and songwriting of British Metal married the rough production and raw energy of hardcore punk rock (mostly from the UK. Damned, Brits). "Murder" is about as close as you can get to thrash without actually being thrash and still being punk rock.

the Varukers is great band. This album was passed on to me by a friend of mine after he heard me complain about the wimpy bands I listed before. Guy understood my tastes. Afterwards, I would listen to the greatest punk band ever and one of my favorite bands of all time: Discharge.

BUY OR DIE!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ride the Lightning vs. Master of Puppets

Muh Aztec Ancestors

Synthwave 2023